Tuesday, September 18, 2012

#Lowcarb Boredom - Meal Ideas - 9/17

For lunch (I don't eat breakfast) I had the last of the leftover pork/brussels sprouts/onions from last week, with about a Tbsp of butter melted over it. The original dish was simply seasoned pork pieces that had originally been cooked in a crockpot; in my bit electric fryer I fried up some brussels sprouts, halved, and onion slices in olive oil and butter until browning, then added the shredded pork to it, covered, and let it cook together over medium-low heat for a while. It was amazingly delicious!

For supper last night I oven roasted some pork country ribs after rubbing them with olive oil and salting them. I roasted them at 325 for an hour, then 275 for a couple more hours until they fell off the bone. Removed them from the oven, turned the heat up to 425, and put a baking sheet with frozen broccoli that had been tossed with olive oil and salted on the top rack.

Because my back was bad I didn't want to make a batch of BBQ sauce for the ribs (plus that's more dishes to wash, and washing dishes hurts my back more than just about anything else), so I just put the ingredients on the pork one by one: onion, garlic, and chili powders, brown sugar sub, a sprinkle of liquid smoke, and low-carb ketchup.

By this time the broccoli was starting to brown around the edges so I gave it a toss, put shredded cheddar cheese on top, and returned it to the top shelf, then I put the pork on the middle shelf. Another 15 minutes or so and the cheese with browning on the broccoli, and lots of crispy bits in the pan to put on top...and the toppings on the pork had merged and gotten good and sticky.

We do eat a lot of pork in our house as it is less expensive than beef, and very versatile. We do love our beef also, and of course chicken which is the only cheap meat left in the store.

I also had some heavily buttered popcorn as an afternoon snack.

Anyway, that was what we ate yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment