Friday, November 13, 2009

Nutcakes

Tonight we couldn't decide what to eat for supper. I'd gotten fish out of the freezer but it was still frozen. So I decided on nutcakes, my lowcarb answer to pancakes.

Before I get into the recipe, let me say that I order certain things in bulk, as they are so much less expensive. I get my almond and pecan meals, flax and sunflower seeds, and other things in 5# bags from Country Life Natural Foods here in Michigan, and things like corn bran and polydextrose from Honeyville Grain, also in 5# quantities. I spend about $100 once or twice a year, including shipping.

When I cook or bake, I don't really measure, I just follow my instincts. So the quantities below - as in all of my recipes - are just guesses.

4 large eggs
2 tbsp heavy cream
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp baking powder
1/4c almond meal
1/4c pecan meal
2 tbsp polydextrose
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Mix all the ingredients well and cook as you would in any other pancake.

I served them with butter melted over them, and SF maple syrup.

It's a nice little change of pace from what we usually eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment