Friday, October 16, 2009

10/16/09 - Leftovers Lunch


I was hungry and wanted something quick. Opening the fridge I saw part of a serving of Dreamfield's, which had been served previously with butter, olive oil, garlic, and cheeses tossed with it. I also had about a half-pound of heavily-seasoned ground beef. I pulled them both out and gave them a toss together, then nuked it for 2 minutes. While that was heating I opened the fridge again, and saw shredded colby-jack cheese, and sour cream. I also saw salsa and green onions, but since the pasta and the beef were already well-seasoned, I ignored them.

By this time the food was heated through, so I sprinkled cheese on top, then plopped some sour cream on it. I took this picture before I spread out the sour cream so I could show what was under it - there wasn't as much as it appears...although if there were, that would have been fine with me! (Did I ever mention that my middle name is Nosuchthingastoomuchsourcream?)

[NOTE: In case I never mentioned it, I only use full-fat dairy. In addition, I add fats in the form of butter, bacon drippings, coconut oil, olive oil, etc. whenever appropriate.)

The result was totally delicious, took less than 5 minutes, and the cost was about a buck and a half: 50¢ for less than 1 serving of Dreamfield's, 50¢ for a half-pound of pre-seasoned ground beef that I got on sale for 99¢/lb, half-cup (probably less, but easier for the purposes of math) of sour cream @ 30¢, and < 1/4c of shredded cheese at a cost of <20¢ (bought on sale for $1.99 for a 3c package). AND it made 2 servings - so my own lunch was only 75¢!

Today is Friday, which means the AYCE fish fry at just about every restaurant in our town-on-the-largest-lake-in-Michigan, Houghton Lake, and Pete and I try to never miss one. I partake, but have learned to minimize the carb impact: ignore the potatoes and get a big salad and/or vegetables instead, get battered rather than breaded (yeah, very small difference, but a difference nonetheless!), and remove the batter from the top - or bottom - and sides of each piece. Don't worry, you'll still get that great battered/fried flavor, most restaurants really load up on that batter anyway for AYCE dinners, to fill people up so they eat less fish, and save money that way! So, supper will be $6.95 plus my cup of tea and the tip. Still, $10 or less for the day, including a restaurant meal...definitely cheap'n'easy!

3 comments:

  1. I'm always looking for tried and true low carb recipes and menu ideas. I'm adding you to my LC blog roll. Hope that's okay. Thanks! L)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely ok! I'm not sure how to set up a blog roll but would love to have one - I will have to research that. Your own site is absolutely lovely and I will add it once I figure out the blog roll thing :).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize that you had moved all your low-carb over to it's own site. It's an awesome blog Sherry. Setting up your own blog roll: list of blogs you like, is quite simple for you do to. Go to the "customize" link at the top of the blog, then to the "layout" tab, then click on "add a gadget, choose "blog list" click on the plus sign. Another frame will pop up and choose "add to list" and add the url of the blogs you want to include in the list. Then arrange the gadget in the order that you want it on the side of the page.

    ReplyDelete