Sunday, February 8, 2009

Turnips - oh yeah, baby...

Root vegetables, other than carrots, weren't something I ate much of as I was growing up. As a result, I never really had an interest in them. But now, eating low carb, it's a whole 'nother story! I recently got some turnips on sale, and had to use them. Since my husband had roasted chicken for our dinner earlier and had left the pan on the stovetop, I peeled and diced a couple of turnips and tossed them in the chicken drippings with a few pieces of bacon, and put it back in the oven. About 20 minutes later I had THE most delicious vegetable dish I think I've ever eaten! The turnips were dark brown and caramelized...I put them in a bowl with a little (1 Tbsp or so) shredded cheddar cheese on top and had them for my afternoon snack-meal-thing. (Hubby is at work and I usually don't have full meals when I'm alone, I just sort of graze.) So sweet and tender, a little sticky...oh no, my mouth is watering just thinking about it! And about 12gN carbs for the whole thing.

As my dad used to say, "You can't beat that with a stick!"

2 comments:

  1. Sounds great, I always just boil them with carrots and mash them together and the next morning, add left over potatoes (I know, not on your list) and make them into patties with an egg and fry them in butter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well everything except the potatoes is ok...turnip patties sound like an interesting concept, I could try them with the fauxtatoes and I'm sure they'd be great! Good idea, thanks :).

    ReplyDelete