Sunday, November 11, 2012

Low Carb Boredom - Meal Ideas - Nov.9-11

Friday the 9th we had leftovers for lunch; supper was broiled steaks and mashed potatoes. Of course I had mostly steak, with just a small amount of potatoes, and lots of butter and sour cream.

Saturday we didn't until late afternoon, and just had one meal all day. I roasted some pork tenderloin, delicata squash, and cabbage/onions. We love that meal, so eat it often.

Today we had just one meal also, roasted chicken, cauliflower (tossed with olive oil/sea salt, then sprinkled with parmesan cheese when they were just about done, and shredded some asiago over them just before serving), and buttery spinach.

Tonight I made some of Maria's sub buns - I get 8 out of a recipe, and they're still plenty big enough for hamburgers or sandwiches - and custard since I had 3 yolks to use anyway. Here is how I did it:

The 3 yolks were in the smallest metal bowl of a 3-piece set I have. I added another whole egg, a dash of salt, 3T granulated splenda, 1/4t cinnamon, 1/2t of vanilla, and mixed it well with a whisk, then I whisked in cream until it was the right consistency - maybe 1/3c? but that's a guess. Then I put some water into the middle bowl of the set and set the small bowl into it and put it in the oven (which was on for the buns to bake anyway); it was fully set at about 20 minutes.

I roasted a huge half-head of cabbage, whole, yesterday, and will chop it up tomorrow to make a pot of cabbage soup. We love soups in the winter; today was 65 outside, tonight we're supposed to have snow, so I thought soup would be good. I'll use about a pound of ground beef, a big can of tomato juice, a box of beef stock, an onion or 2 (we love our onions!) seasonings of course...and I have some leftover spinach from today so i'll toss that in too, for color. And whatever else strikes my fancy :). Looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment