Monday, February 7, 2011

Recipe: Corn Bran Muffins! #lowcarb

Leelan (my 22MO grandson and I) just made WONDERFUL corn bran mini-muffins! They aren't exactly like corn bread but they're more corny than a typical muffin, not exactly sweet but not exactly savory either - somewhere in-between. This recipe makes 24 of them, and I've got to hurry and write it down before I forget it!

2 large eggs
1/4c heavy cream

Whip together with whisk attachment on mixer until doubled in volume.

1/4t salt
1t baking powder
1/2t baking soda
1/4c polydextrose*
1/4c almond flour
1/4c golden flax meal
1/2c corn bran*
1/4c Ideal granulated sweetener
1/4t granulated onion
1/4t granulated garlic

Blend dry ingredients in a separate bowl with a whisk, then mix into egg/cream mixture on low speed; add
1/2t vanilla extract (probably would be fine without this)
3T melted butter

Continue mixing until thoroughly blended, scraping down sides as needed.

Divide into 24 well-greased mini muffin cups, filling NO MORE THAN 2/3 of the way. These rose a lot, and the tops came off of the ones that overflowed when I was removing them from the pan. (Perhaps if you use paper muffin cups this wouldn't be an issue?)

Bake at 325 until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the biggest muffin comes out clean. In my oven, this was about 25 minutes, but I had started them at 350, then noticed the tops browning too quickly after the first 10 minutes and turned the heat back to 325.

* can be purchased at www.honeyvillegrain.com and are both staples in my cupboard - the polydextrose in sweet baked goods, and the corn bran as part of a good coating for fried chicken and fish and to dust the pan when I make pizza crusts...and now to make these lovely muffins!

No comments:

Post a Comment