Thursday, April 7, 2011

Great Supper! #lowcarb #recipe


Oh YUM! Wanted something easy tonight, I had a busy day, I was tired, and my spine (arthritis) was killing me. I'd gotten a package of sausage (Sav-a-Lot's own) out of the freezer this morning, not knowing what I was going to do with it, so this was a quick, flying-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kinda meal.

I made a sorta meatloaf. Into a bowl I put the pound of thawed sausage, to which I added about a cup of frozen chopped spinach, thawed, plus an egg, and a generous handful of finely shredded colby-jack cheese, and I mixed it all together. The beauty of sausage is that I didn't have to even think about seasoning. I patted it down into an 8" round casserole dish, and baked it at 350F for 50 minutes; it was fairly loose when it first came out, but tightened up nicely within 10 minutes or so...probably when the melted cheese within cooled.

The side dish is just frozen yellow squash, thawed under warm water. I melted some butter in a frying pan with some olive oil. I chopped and cooked a slice of onion (about 3/4"x2.5") until translucent, then added the squash which I had squeezed as dry as I could. On high, I stirred it around to keep it from burning until I got the color on it - and the onions - that I wanted.

This was a REALLY good dinner, very filling, low in carbs and high in fat, and most of all it was delicious!

The package of sausage was about $2.00. The spinach came from a 2.5# bag that cost $2.59; not sure how many cups in the bag, but I used maybe 1/10th of it...we'll say 30c just to be generous. The cheese was 1/4 of a $2.89 bag, so 75c there...and the egg was 11c. I had 7 onions in the bag for $2.99, and I used about 1/3 of one of them (let's see...21 goes in 3 about 1.5 times...) so we'll say 15c worth. 1T of butter @ $2.88/lb is less than a dime; hard to compute 2T of olive oil out of a gallon jug that I paid $24 for. Under $3.50 for the entire meal. 4 servings of "meatloaf" and 3 servings of squash - we will have the leftover meatloaf for lunch tomorrow, in low carb tortillas it will be great!

Cheap'n'easy low carb meal for sure! AND delicious :).

No comments:

Post a Comment