Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Simply Amazing Squash Casserole #lowcarb

I had about 10 smallish yellow squashes in the fridge that needed to be used up, so yesterday I read a bunch of recipes for various casseroles and other dishes using it, just for ideas. Of course many were carby but that didn't matter because I'm so used to converting recipes that when I see the words "bread crumbs" I think "crushed porkies and parmesan".

This was GREAT as it was but next time I think I will mix yellow squash and zucchini, just for the color since it looks a little bland. I also might add some diced tomato (with the seeds and juices squeezed out) for more color - wouldn't that be LOVELY? And if I added some sort of meat - sausage or bacon or ground beef - it would make an excelent one-dish meal as well!

Anyway, here's what I came up with to go with the meatloaf (ground beef and sausage, egg, onion, seasonings, pork rind binder), and we loved it SO MUCH that we're going to plant some yellow squash this year! Yeah, really!

10 small tender yellow squash, washed and cubed
1 medium onion, cut into smallish chunks
1 c. mozzarella/provolone crumbles (from GFS)
S & P to taste
1 tsp garlic powder
1 egg
1 c. full-fat sour cream
1/4 c. heavy cream
"bread crumbs" (2 parts ground porkies/1 part parmesan out of the can, plus 1/2 tsp. dried thyme)

Toss together the first 3 ingredients in a large, well-greased casserole dish; add S & P and garlic powder, toss lightly, and set aside. (NOTE: I salted this fairly heavily with sea salt.)

In a small mixing bowl whisk together the next 3 ingredients until well-blended; pour over the squash mixture evenly; cover.

Bake in a 375 oven for 1 hour; remove, lower heat to 350, uncover, top with "bread crumbs" and return to oven, uncovered, for 15 minutes more for some of the liquid to evaporate, and "bread crumbs" to brown. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes before serving.

This is my first - but definitely not last! - time making this, and I'm looking forward to tweaking the recipe a bit with the additions I mentioned above. If you try it and tweak it, I'd love to know what you do and how it turns out, so I can try it too :).

No comments:

Post a Comment