Sunday, March 4, 2012

My #Lowcarb "Dish to Pass" for Potluck at Church

I was rather at a loss what to make for today's potluck. Last week I had just bought a bag of potatoes, and since I'm the only low carber there I decided I'd just make seasoned potato wedges. They were great (I used the whole bag, and they were gone!), but nobody really brought a meat dish (which I usually bring, or a casserole containing meat)...so I will make sure to take one from now on.

Anyway, here's what I came up with, and it was really really good!

I sliced several yellow squash and several zucchinis on a bias so I got big slices, and also rough-chopped 3 onions, then I tossed them all with olive oil and sea salt and roasted them at 425 for about 25 minutes, tossing once.

Meanwhile I browned and crumbled about 2# of ground beef and ground turkey together.

In a bowl I mixed together 2 cans of drained diced tomatoes and a 15 oz. container of whole milk ricotta.

When the vegetables and meat were done I let them cool a bit, then tossed them with the tomatoes and cheese, and topped it all with some lowcarb bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. At the church the "food ladies" :) put it uncovered into the oven to heat, and brown the top.

I had 2 huge helpings (and a single spoonful of potato salad, and a slice of salisbury steak, and a small piece of pumpkin custard) and it was really really good! Got a lot of compliments on the dish too, it made a 9x13x2 pan full to the top!

I used about $3 of meat, $2.25 of squash, $1.18 of tomatoes, $1.59 of ricotta, and less than $1 of onions (got some out of the bargain basket yesterday). I'd say there were about 10 good helpings, for about $0.85 per helping. (Veggies, meat, and dairy all included!)

DEFINITELY something I will make again :).

No comments:

Post a Comment