Saturday, September 29, 2012

#Lowcarb Boredom - Meal Ideas - 9/26-29

I don't recall what I made on Wednesday (9/26), now, and apparently I didn't blog it on Thursday - but I had a really REALLY busy call day (I work 9-5 taking calls/scheduling for a pest control service) plus was trying to get ready to leave.

Thursday we were leaving for downstate soon after I got done with work. Pete grilled up some hot dogs and steaks, and that's what we ate. We snacked on popcorn in the morning.

Friday and Saturday we were on the road and ate mostly at restaurants, but Friday night I did make supper: Chicken breasts with deep pockets sliced into them, stuffed with sausage and mozzarella, stood on the side - pocket up - in a baking dish (so the stuffing wouldn't melt out) and roasted for about 45 minutes...then I drained off most of the fat from the mozzarella and poured spaghetti sauce over them, sprinkled the tops with parmesan, and put them back in the oven for about 20 more minutes. One the side we had my lovely coated green beans. Heat up some butter and olive oil in a frying pan on high; add frozen green beans; season heavily with onion powder, and some sea salt; stir around as the beans thaw, give off steam, and finally cook through as the onion powder forms a coating on them and absorbs the fats. They are amazing! (I do variations of this, sometimes using only olive oil, or something adding some garlic powder also, or whatever.)

Tonight we were home and I cooked supper for us: chicken breasts (with skin and bones) brushed with olive oil and sprinkled with seasoned salt, because I'm exhausted from the whirlwind of the last 48 hours. And we finished up the last of the daikon casserole with it.

While we were downstate I took the opportunity to go to Aldi's to stock up on mostly dairy (saving a full 50% on some items, compared to our local prices!) and to Horrocks for excellent quality produce that is mostly at LEAST 25% cheaper than buying it here, and much of it - actually about half of what I bought - between 50-75% cheaper! I also picked up a few ham "ends and pieces" for $1.79/20 oz pkg and a big package of chicken breasts for $1.19/lb. there. We are STOCKED now! I spent $99-something between those 2 stores, and packed the trunk of the car FULL plus half of the back seat!! SO STOKED! We will be eating such lovely meals with this bounty that the Lord provided!!

No comments:

Post a Comment