Thursday, June 2, 2011

My Sassy Little #Lowcarb Sandwich Rolls - Tweaks

OK, so if I can tweak up my lovely loaf of bread, I have found that I can tweak up my little sandwich rolls from the original recipe I posted. All along I've been doing minor tweaks here and there, so here is a re-write of that recipe, with all of the changes, the way I make them now:

8 oz. soft cream cheese (full fat)
3 eggs
4 drops (equal to 4 tsp sugar) liquid sucralose
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4c Carbquik (or 1/2c any other low carb baking mix)
1/2c wheat protein isolate
2T wheat or oat bran (for color more than anything)
1/2c full fat plain yogurt

Beat the cream cheese in the mixer until smooth; add eggs and liquid sucralose. Beat until very smooth, add the remaining ingredients in no particular order, mix on low speed until blended then on medium speed until smooth and almost glossy.

Put a glob of batter into each WELL-GREASED well of the muffin top pan, and spread it from the middle to the sides; fill the wells only halfway. Bake at 325F for 10-12 minutes on the middle rack, or until you see them browning around the bottom on the edges. They will puff up to the top of the wells. Let them cool slightly - until they pull away from the sides and unpuff - before removing them to a cooling rack.

One last addition: for half of the rolls I sprinkle some sesame seeds across the top before putting them into the oven. Just adds not only to the flavor, but to the sense of really eating an honest-to-goodness bun! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment