Monday, October 10, 2011

Can't Resist a Sale #lowcarb

I mentioned last week that Sav-a-Lot was having a 10/$10 sale, and also that I got a lot of meat very inexpensively there. Well, today was the last day of the sale, and I got to thinking about it, and since I hadn't seen beef roasts for $2.79 in MONTHS, I figured I might not again. Plus some of the 10/$10 lowcarb things I might get more of, and stock up on. So hubby and I went back, and here's what we got:

10/$10 (or $1 each):
(5) dozen more eggs
(5) Eckrich balogna (hubby's pick), 1# each
(5) Eckrich franks (hubby's pick)
(5) pkgs pepperoni for chips
(10) 10 oz roasted peanuts (hubby's pick)

Other special prices
(3) 20 oz. turkey ends & pieces @ 1.67 ea
(3) 20 oz. ham ends & pieces @ 1.67 ea
7.5 lb. beef chuck roast @ $2.69/lb
10 lb. pork sirloin chops @ $1.69/lb

And then I picked up a pound of butter (most of last week's pound was used up by campers last weekend - plus I buy a pound every time I go to Sav-a-Lot, so I never run out!) for $2.99, a quart of half'n'half for $2.99 (which is more expensive than Walmart's, but a half-gallon of gas round trip to Walmart would add $1.60), 12 oz. of finely shredded Italian blend cheese for $3.19, a jar of horseradish for $1.99, and 24 oz. of cottage cheese for $2.49.

Another $90 or so. But our freezer is now half full, we have enough meat and eggs to see us through November, and frozen vegetables as well. We'll need more dairy in a few days (esp. half'n'half and cream), and fresh produce later in the month. But we're in great shape for several weeks, at the least! And that's such a good feeling :).

On another note, I don't plan on cooking for a few days. From the camping trip we brought home half of a big pot of chicken vegetable soup (I added some fresh spinach that needed to be used up), lots of hot dogs and grilled chicken, HB eggs, and about half of the wraps I made. Plus we had some hamburgs that Pete grilled up today. So we'll be eating that bounty for a few days yet :).

2 comments:

  1. I am starting a grand experiment.
    A Nurse Friend of mine (makes the same pay)
    said ya can't do LoCarb on a tight budget.
    So I am setting out to prove you can!

    And of course, I thought of you and your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you will prove her wrong, Anne! It has certainly been much less expensive for us! I don't think people realize how much processed foods cost - $3.00 for a loaf of bread? Almost $5 for a box of cereal? :)

    ReplyDelete