Thursday, December 22, 2011

#Lowcarb Squash #Recipe - PANCAKES! + a Tip :)

Free for nuthin', here's a tip: If you want something to rise and you add baking powder, you're off to a good start. But if you want to make that baking powder do it's very best for you, you need to give it an acid: some yogurt, sour cream, buttermilk, kefir... It is something that doesn't seem to be too common in the lowcarb recipes I read, and I see large amounts of baking powder used in baking to try and get a good rise...it's not really necessary to use so much though, if you just add a spoonful of something acidic to give the baking powder some oomph.

Just wanted to mention that while I'm thinking of it...

Anyway, I had a half a dumpling squash left over. I scooped it out into a mixing bowl and mixed it with 2 eggs and about a half-cup of parmesan cheese, about 1/2t of baking powder and about 2t of sour cream, plus S&P, then mixed well with a stick blender, and cooked on my griddle - oiled with coconut oil - like pancakes. Served 'em with butter on top and sausage patties on the side. DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!

I still have the other half left, and for breakfast tomorrow morning I'm going to try it with a nut flour instead of the parmesan cheese, and cinnamon with a touch - just a touch, since it's already fairly sweet - of brown sugar sub. Served with some bacon on the side. I imagine it will be even MORE amazing that what I made this morning, the sweetness of the squash cakes with the saltiness of the bacon...I'm getting all giddy just thinking about it!

Winter squash is cheap, maybe too carby for some, and not induction-friendly if you're doing Atkins (in this recipe the squash is probably only half of the batter in quantity), but very nutritious. I imagine with all the nutrients of the squash, together with "nature's perfect food" the eggs, and when I use nutrient-rich nut flour also, it will be a nutritional powerhouse to start our day!

No comments:

Post a Comment