Saturday, January 28, 2012

Final Grocery Shopping for January #lowcarb

January is just about over, I don't expect I'll be shopping much more this month...actually I don't need anything, so I know I won't. At the end of this post will be the total I've spent on groceries for the month. If you know people who use the excuse that low carb eating is too expensive, send them here. I feed my husband and I, plus my almost-3YO grandson who is here 4-5 days/wk, and my mom on Sundays. My husband eats 4 full meals in every 24-hour period, plus snacks. I eat regular meals and a couple of mini-meals.

This week our car wasn't working so I asked my daughter to bring me 2 dozen eggs. They were "about 4 bucks" (!) but she said I didn't have to pay for them. But I thought I'd mention it, that I got 2 dozen eggs this week, even if I didn't have to pay for them.

Today I was near Falmouth, MI. In Falmouth is a wonderful store called Ebel's. If you are ever anywhere near Falmouth, this store alone is worth the side trip. This store will bag up a bunch of frozen meats and sell the bagful at a discount. As an example, they put a half dozen packages of boneless skinless chicken breast fillets in a bag to make 10# +/-, freeze it, and sell it for $1.29/lb. Today I bought 9.25# of chicken thighs (our favorite part) for 69c/lb, or $6.38. I bought 9 packages of lunch meat bagged up and frozen (I freeze my lunch meat anyway if I buy a bunch on sale) for $3.00. And a single package of 3 turkey wings for $2.08, for a total of $11.46 at Ebel's.

Then I went back to Merchandise Mart for more unsweetened organic shredded coconut @ $1.29/pkg, and got 3 more packages. They also have organic coconut flour there now for $1.99/pkg (1#) so I got 2 of those. And a liter of coconut water (full of electrolytes!) for 50c and a 2 qt. bottle of juice (mainly plum, also others, plus filtered water and sucralose, no HFCS) for my grandson for $1.59. Total spent at MM $7.94.

Finally I had to go to Walmart, and because I still had some $ left in the grocery budget for the month I went a little crazy, spending $39.06. But for that I got 2# of shredded cheese - can't beLIEVE the cost of cheese now!, (3) half-gallons of half'n'half, 2 frozen pizzas, a jar of natural peanut butter, a big carton of cottage cheese, a pint of chocolate milk (hubby grabbed that one as we walked past it!), a 24-count bottled drinking water, and 2 bottles of low-carb ketchup (Heinz calls it "reduced sugar").

Total for today was $58.46. Add that to my previous total for groceries this month, and we're under $240 for the month, or $60 a week.

This is just one month, I will continue to keep track but I defy anyone to tell me that low carb eating is too expensive.

2 comments:

  1. I've been freaking out over the cost of cheese lately too... I pay a lot less for meat! And butter... Almost $4/lb! Geesh...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm finding butter - pure butter with just cream, salt, and water - for $2.29/lb at Aldi's (90 miles away), and Sav-a-Lot (here in town) just lowered their price to that as well! It used to be that blocks of cheese were less expensive than pre-shredded, but no more! I'm going to have a mini-rant about prices when I post again tonight after Leelan goes to bed...

    ReplyDelete