Tuesday, January 24, 2012

One of my Favorite #Lowcarb Suppers. EVER!

I'd originally planned broiled steak with fried onions, a favorite of ours anyway. I started the onions, chopping 2 of them into chunks, frying/stirring them until brown over high heat, in butter and olive oil with some sea salt, then reducing the heat to low, adding garlic powder, and covering them to continue cooking until they got soft.

When they were almost done I started the steaks broiling, seasoned only with some seasoned salt.

Then I spied a can of diced tomatoes on the shelf. After draining them, I put them in a small saucepan with butter over medium heat, added 2 drops of EZSweetz (liquid sucralose), and then on a whim decided to mix in a couple shakes of balsamic vinegar.

Oh. My. GOODNESS!

With a spoonful of the buttery onions and a spoonful - ok, 2 spoonsful - of the sweet/tart tomatoes over my steak, I created the closest thing to heaven on earth, at least in a culinary sense. AMAZING! The flavors came together so beautifully that my mouth is watering again just thinking of it 90 minutes later!

I will eat this every day. OK, maybe not. But I will want to!

Definitely easy, and I'd say for as great as it was, it was also pretty cheap! I got 25 NY strips for $49.something, or @2.00 each. The can of tomatoes was 63c, the onions were $2.99 for a bag of 10, or 30c each. Plus a couple Tbsp of butter, sprinkle of olive oil, a little balsamic, some seasonings...Easily under $3 per serving. And we each got a whole plateful of food, definitely didn't leave the table hungry!

Can't wait to fix this meal again!

No comments:

Post a Comment