Saturday, April 3, 2010

Low Carb Ain't Always Low Carb #lowcarb

When I was first learning about low carb eating, before I even started (I researched for 2 years before taking the plunge) I remember getting cook books from the library to see what I would be eating, were I to actually try that WOE, and I remember thinking, "This might not be so bad. I can still have sugar and flour..." Say WHAT???

Yeah. There are a lot of recipes out there that label themselves low carb, and in the broadest sense of the word I suppose they could be considered thus. After all, 8g/serving isn't much, right? And in my naivete I believed that all there was to low carb eating is counting carbs. Of course, as most of us do, I later learned that, just as all calories aren't created equal, neither are carbs.

So to this day, I really resent when a low carb claim is made for foods that are misleading to those who know that the whole point is insulin response, and it doesn't take many grams of some types of carbs to have an impact.

So even after 6 years following low carb eating, it's a sore point with me when I pick up a low carb cookbook at a thrift store for 59¢ because it seems to have some rather interesting recipes in it, and read, "1/2c all-purpose flour...3/4c sugar..." or tune into a YouTube "low carb" recipe video and see a woman and her little girl dumping sugar into a bowl.

In its purest sense, eating low carb is about good health. It isn't about seeing how many insulin-spiking foods you can get away with in a recipe, if you just make the serving size small enough. And we know that sugars and starches are unhealthy. So why...???

So the little cookbook is in the trash, and certain YouTube producers are on my mental "ignore that one!" list. And life goes on...with one more rant out of the way :).

No comments:

Post a Comment