Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Pot Roast and Leftovers #lowcarb

Haven't had much to post, really. My appetite has been a little better but I'm still not eating as much as usual, so I haven't had much to write about.

Tonight I had a leftover piece of pot roast that I had done in the crockpot yesterday. It was delicious. I'd cut it into 4 oz chunks and cooked it 4 hours on high with heavily seasoned water: sea salt, onion and garlic granules, chili powder, and worchestershire sauce. It was tender and delicious! I served it with yellow squash medallions (frozen slices, tossed with olive oil and sea salt, sprinkled with parmesan, and baked at 375 for about 30 minutes - but I like fresh better than frozen!), and baked potatoes. For me, I just had the scooped out skins with butter; my 1YO grandson was more than happy to eat the middle! It was a one-meal day, as most days are lately, although I did have a small dish of SF ice cream as a snack as well.

Today I chopped a small onion and cooked it in bacon in my dutch oven until just translucent, then added 2 bags of rinsed/drained shirataki noodles; stirred until heated through, then added the leftover roast, cut into bite-sized chunks, stirred until heated through; added 3 cups reserved liquid from the crockpot and 1/2 tsp xanthan gum and heated to a boil, stirring constantly, until thickened. Added thyme, marjoram, parsley, and sea salt, then lowered heat to let it simmer for a while and the flavors meld.

Meanwhile in another saucepan I cooked up frozen brussels sprouts in bacon fat/butter, seasoned with onion and garlic granules and sea salt; once they were starting to brown a little bit I added just enough water to cover the bottom of the pan to about 1/4", covered, and lowered the heat to let them finish cooking until tender.

Right before I served supper I stirred about a half-cup of full-fat sour cream into the meat/noodles/gravy...and dang it wouldn't you know I forgot to add mushrooms! I really wanted some too. Anyway, it was a very good meal, with the brussels sprouts on the side, nicely coated with the garlic & onion almost like breading.

This made over half the dutch oven and there is plenty left for tomorrow's lunch!

The pot roast was 3.88# and cost right around $10. The noodles were $1.98/bag. Those are the only prices I can remember, although I could go back to my shopping post and look up the other things...but it's late, I'm tired, and I don't think it's that big a deal. I'm sure that both dinners and tomorrow's lunch together were <$20, EASILY. Definitely cheap'n'easy - and delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment