Thursday, October 6, 2011

TooGood #Lowcarb Flatbread #Recipe

I've been messing around with recipes for wraps, mainly to wrap around hot dogs that were cooked on a campfire, but for other things as well.

Tonight I reached as close to perfection as I'll ever get I think, these wraps are better than any I've ever had, low carb or not! Totally delicious, and just right for hot dogs! (I will make them bigger when I want to use them for sandwiches or something...although a couple of these would make a superb grilled cheese too, no doubt!)

I don't usually measure but I have been so I could duplicate this when I finally got what I wanted. Here is the recipe, before I forget it:

1.5c Wheat Protein Isolate 5000
1/4c fine almond flour
1/4c oat fiber (NOT bran)
1/2Tbsp baking powder
1/2Tbsp baking soda
1/4tsp salt

3 drops sweetzfree (equal to 3tsp sugar)
3/4c hot water
2Tbsp full-fat sour cream (plain yogurt would probably work too)

oat flour for dusting (I used 1/4c total)

Whisk together the first 6 ingredients until very well blended and "fluffy" looking.

Mix sweetzfree, and sour cream into hot water well with whisk until sour cream is fully melted in.

Using a wooden spoon (so it doesn't stick so much) stir while pouring water mixture into flour mixture. The dough will puff up, develop holes, and get fluffy. Only add enough water to make a sticky, loose dough; it will be wet and sticky. Mix until blended but no longer. Set aside for about 10-15 minutes to allow reaction (between lactic acid and baking powder) completes.

With wet hands (to prevent sticking) remove dough from bowl and knead on a floured (oat flour) surface until it is smooth but not tight. Form a loose ball, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside for 30 minutes, during which time it will rise by about 50%.

Cut into 16 equal pieces with pastry cutter (or knife dipped in water); roll each into a walnut-sized ball, pat to flatten, then roll to about 6" (that's the size I made to use with hot dogs) on lightly floured surface; re-dust surface as needed between dough balls.

I used a cast aluminum griddle that is well seasoned from over 30 years of use because I have parrots, so don't use non-stick. Turned it on high, and when a drop of water bounced across the surface I put the wraps onto the griddle, which holds 6 wraps, one at a time. By the time I put the 6th one on, the first one had puffed up and the bottom was golden; I flipped them in order, left the 2nd side to cook until golden (a minute or less), then removed them to a cooling rack. All 16 of them took less than 10 minutes to cook.

After cooling the wraps were pliable, soft, very very tasty, not dry at all...just amazing! I don't know for sure how I will store them yet, probably in a bread wrapper, but I'm just so excited about these - totally excellent!

The whole recipe contains 23gN carbs, so it's about 1.5gN per wrap.

7 comments:

  1. Love your blog and these flat bread wraps sound delicious! I have never used wheat protein isolate, but have been thinking about purchasing some. Does it have an aftertaste like gluten flour or Carbalose flour?
    Thanks, Pam.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it has a very minimal aftertaste - if I eat it plain there is a hint of aftertaste. If I lightly butter (oh, who am I kidding? I don't "lightly" butter anything - lol) it or even lay a thin slice of turkey on it, that's enough so I don't taste anything. But I will say that my "carby daughter" ate some plain and said it tasted just like pita bread from the store, she didn't taste anything at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to add here that these store best - after they are cooled - in a bread wrapper, folded over loosely, in the fridge. They do get a little stiffer with time but are still bendy. And in case you are wondering, my husband is responsible for cooking and preparing lunches where he works, and brings me the bread wrappers...I don't buy pre-made bread :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, I will definitely try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. where in the world can i find oat fiber?? Or do you have to get it via mail order??

    ReplyDelete
  6. I get it from netrition.com - in fact I get most of my baking "flours" there :). Amazon also has it, and Honeyville Grain I think too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. By the way, the last time I made these I used rye flour in place of oat flour, and we like them even better! They are great either way but we really enjoy the rye flour :). Just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete